Tuesday, July 03, 2007

I'm ready for the love-in, gentle people of the Bay

A week from today I'll have been in San Francisco for 24 whole hours. Hopefully relaxed, de-stressed, shopping, taking in the sights, celebrating my anniversary with Mr. Whyioughtta.

I have never been to California or any part of the western USA, so I'm really looking forward to seeing whether the rumours of hippydom, peace and love, and flowers in your hair are true. We'll spend a few days in the city then hit the coast.

I haven't been on a real vacation since my honeymoon 4 years ago, so I'm really really REALLY disproportionately EXTREMELY very thrilled to be going away. I only wish we could stay longer than we are. Who knows what pleasures await us? (I do: wine, sun, and surf.)

As an aside, I was doing some research on San Fran (okay, looking up shoe stores) and came across was all this talk of the famous cable cars. Suddenly it occurred to me..."How do cable cars actually work?" Turns out they aren't like streetcars at all. They're run by a sort of pulley-based closed-loop system where they basically hitch a ride with a moving cable under the street. Very cool.

Moose and I are also planning to see what happens when real life collides with the virtual world by meeting up for drinks, which I'm very much looking forward to. (Her new masthead and site layout looks beautiful, btw.)

I will probably not have much time to post before I get back, but I'll be sure to take lots of photos to share when I return. Until then, peace and love to all.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Fat Sparrow said...

Northern California is nice, and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun.

Have a good time, and we'll be here when you get back.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Manuel said...

Have a blast n all that...

be sure to wear some flowers in your hair or they will beat your ass all the way home. I'm telling you its the rules...

8:28 PM  
Blogger Moose said...

Thank you! And you should definitely do the cable cars - they take you right past a lot of the city's old architecture and you get beautiful views from the hills.

2:12 PM  
Blogger whyioughtta said...

Thanks everyone...

Moose: I sent you a gmail about that drink!

10:03 PM  
Blogger tsduff said...

Why on earth you had to come when life and temperature are way the heck too HOT... hope you found a place to cool off!! We died over here in Walnut Creek (inland from SF by about 1/2 hour by car)... bravo!

2:01 AM  
Blogger whyioughtta said...

TS: We're actually going down this coming Monday (the 9th), so I think I missed the heat...(?) The forecasts (which I've been checking with my usual obsessive vigour) are saying 21C (er...in the 60s, I think), which is perfect (unlike the 30C/70% relative humidity we get here in the summer).

12:31 PM  
Blogger ni_de_montreal said...

oh miss S, you will L-O-V-E love SF.. it's a great city.. so much walking to be done.. interesting architecture and neighbourhoods.. mUst go for a morning irish coffee at the Buena Vista near the end of the Fisherman's Wharf end of the cable car lines.. http://www.thebuenavista.com/irishcoffee.html
and if you get a chance to head out to head out to napa (conestoga-- you can even take the public bus; quite scenic!) for some wine tasting, even better! have a fab time (you will!)
xo n

2:02 PM  
Blogger DeepBlueSea said...

So, Whyioughtta has now been incommunicado for 3 weeks plus.

Sounds like she 'enjoyed herself' by Old Frisco Bay.


PS The reports are starting to filter in via Reuters and other agencies of your activities. Looking forward to hearing your own version of events.... ;o)

12:40 AM  
Blogger DeepBlueSea said...

I wouldn't say that I miss you but I do look forward to your return... Call me weird...

_m

12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home