Thursday, May 24, 2007

Gonna take you on a nature walk...

This post is dedicated to Fat Sparrow.

I'm taking her on a walk with me in the woods because I think it's unacceptable that her wildlife contact consists of bugs, roadkill, and that one mangey catfish at Mexi Mart (what the hellfire and damnation is Mexi Mart, anyways? Don't answer that.)

So, FS, here is your first hike in the Canadian woods with me and my canine boy-child.


This is your host for the day: Chico. Chico is a very, very large Chihuahua. (Well, he could be...look at those ears.) Chico say: Hola Fat Esparrow. Que tal? No te apuras...I am going to take you on a very especial nature walk today. You are rrrrready?


First, though, you'll need to get yourself a pair of these bad boys. $15.00 cash and $4.99 in Canadian Tire money buys you the SUV of boots. They'll get you through your mud holes, your bogs, your slimy mossy areas, your flooded lowlands, your wet farmers' fields, and your rock piles.


One of the best things about early spring in the woods up here: no bugs yet, but lots of beautiful budding things.


This is a trillium...not sure if you have those down in Cali4neye-ay. This whole place is crawling with 'em. Aren't they lovely? You may be interested to learn that a trillium plant has to live for many years before it will produce a flower.


The purposefully arranged pile of rocks in the middle of this photo is an inukshuk. Although it's an Inu (Inuit) tradition, you see these all across Canada. They're used as markers, to give directions, mark a path, indicate a great blueberry-picking area, etc.


I don't know what these little purple flowers are called, but they smell like a mix of lilac and rose...very pretty. They cover the forest floor in early spring.

Okay, now we're moving from the deciduous (leafy-tree) forest into a cedar (evergreen) forest. It gets messy in here, but it's always dark and damp and that breeds all kinds of interesting things...

...you'll definitely need these in here...


These plants grow like little vases, directing water down to their roots until they're strong enough to spread their leaves. Cool eh?


These mushrooms are whack.


Here's what you see when you look up.


And when you look down. Here's a feather for you, FS.















Chico say: Fat esparrow, we're going to cut through this farmer's field. I hope you no mind...errr....I may have to take a leetle dip to cool off first .


Phew. It's getting hot. Let's cut through the old quarry.


The trees are in bloom.


The birds are singing.


And Chico is making friends with the locals. Canada Geese are notoriously mean. Chico may need an eye-patch when this is all over.


















A little more walking...







...And we're home. Have a seat.



I'll get us some refreshments. Hope you enjoyed yourself!


Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger angrycandy said...

o.k...i tried to post a comment already but not sure if it worked...anyhoo, just wanted to thank you for the walk. it was lovely and cheered me up on this bloated, pmssy day...

4:28 PM  
Blogger Fat Sparrow said...

Oh! Oh! I cried, I laughed, I gnashed my teeth in jealousy!

It was beautiful! It is beautiful! Thank you!

If you haven't been to the dreaded waterless bunghole that is the Inland Empire in Southern California, I can't begin to tell you how different it is.... Trees that are not palms (and growing in groups, naturally, no less!), green things, blue lakes, MUD! By God, when have I ever seen enough water in dirt to cause mud?! I am enraptured. When I die, please chuck my ashes in the mud pit.

One of these days when I figure out how to use the husband's digital camera, I will put up some pics of our ugly-ass city.

(sighs, hums) "I gotta get out of this place, if it's the last thing I ever do...."

6:38 PM  
Blogger jackp said...

hey...i've been on that walk with that dog!

1:27 AM  
Blogger DeepBlueSea said...

Really enjoyed that wee tour!
(Always a sucker for a dog pic...)

-M.

4:41 AM  
Blogger whyioughtta said...

AC: You're welcome. May you debloatify quickly.

FS: You're very very welcome. Like I said, it's not right that you be denied a little nature. I will do more of these so you can see how the forest changes through the year--it's fascinating. I look forward to your pictorial debut.

We're planning a trip to California this summer, but probably only to San Francisco.

Jackp: ..and that camera...and that woman wearing those boots...

N4N: Yes, I feel that Chico makes everything adorable, but I'm biased...

9:18 AM  
Blogger savannah said...

lovely tour, sugar! thanks...glad i dropped by :D

10:34 AM  
Blogger Manuel said...

I went on the walk too. But was just behind you guys, in a stalking sort of way. Hiding behind the bushes and peeking out, gigling in a sweaty nervous way. I need a shower now...

8:41 AM  
Blogger whyioughtta said...

Savannah: I'm glad you dropped by too. Welcome!

Manuel: I thought you were just one of our wild forest waiters. Very pesky critters they are, ransacking the woods with their aprons and trays. Chico likes to chase them up trees...

(Sorry, that's all I've got. Tired this morning...)

9:34 AM  
Blogger Kav said...

testes testes

10:56 AM  
Blogger Kav said...

Oh, good, it works now. I posted on the previous post to this and it's not there! Conspiracies abound!

I bumped into manuel along the way and we went to the pub afterwards to figure out how to step up our operation...

10:57 AM  
Blogger whyioughtta said...

Kav: Beer is always a good first step in stepping up any operation. Well played.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Carolina Lange said...

You had a great walk! So beautiful photos!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Bock the Robber said...

And look! No empty beer cans.

7:44 AM  
Blogger whyioughtta said...

Carolina: Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it.

Bock: Oh yeah there are...I just didn't photograph em. A trail of beercans through the woods is how we Canuks find our way home. (p.s. Welcome!)

9:30 AM  
Blogger Jar said...

Did you by any chance come upon my frilled-neck lizard? It escaped from it's cage and we can't find it anywhere in the house...

Gizzy

3:25 PM  
Blogger shallomj said...

Awwww - this reminds me of home. I am now living in Vancouver (for the past 7 years) but grew up in the wilds of Northern BC, in a log house in the bush with no electricity, cooking on a wood stove.

Damnit sometimes I get so homesick. Your woods look a lot like my woods. Now all I see is concrete and pretty manicured gardens. Sometimes it's enough to make a girl go crazy! Or at least to send me on a northern vacation to get out of the city and back to the forest.

*sigh* thank you for your beautiful pictures. I am horribly jealous.

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home