Thursday, August 31, 2006

Addiction: the new beauty must-have?

Been reading biographies of famous stylistas lately. Empress Eugenie (oh, just go Wikipedia it already), Marlene Dietrich, Jackie Kennedy, Wallis Spencer, Elinor Glyn: drooling spendaholics, every one. Carine Roitfeld, the gut-wrenchingly chic editor-in-chef of French Vogue? Takes Lexomyl (a tranquilizer) every day to stay calm. Diana Vreeland, the eccentricly fabulous editor-in-chief of American Vogue in the 50s and 60s? Doffed two slugs of scotch each morning to brace herself for the day ahead. Anna Wintour, present e-i-c of same publication? Feasts nightly on the still-living flesh of in-utero lambs, if you believe the hype.

Lindsay Lohan, Kate Moss, the list of fabulous women of style who ALLEGEDLY get shit-faced daily goes on and on.

Question: is there a link here somewhere? Does addiction and/or regular consumption of narcotics have some kind of causal correlation to style and success? Is booze the new Botox? Is heavy-liddedness the new eye-lift? Is unconsciousness the new fountain of youth? Yes please.

What is it that links sartorialism, success, and smashed-facedness?

6 Comments:

Blogger Moose said...

You must hold a strange power over me. As soon as you told me to go to Wikipedia, I jumped in my chair and clicked right over.

This makes me want to go put on my favorite vintage circle skirt and go drink sidecars.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Molecular Turtle said...

I think drugs have a connection with celebrity. I think it has something to do with finding some sort of thrill or danger. For us slubs we feel danger while trying to make rent at the end of the month. We get happy just from our accomplishments. I imagine when you have everything the little things seem to mean less.

11:27 PM  
Blogger Kevin Beck said...

Great blog you have here!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Sweary said...

Being a horrifically stylish tart meself, I like to take a cocktail of heroin and Maltesers of a morning. Keeps me shiny.

10:11 AM  
Blogger angrycandy said...

every era has its drug/booze style component in the "it" fashion of its age...absinthe, martinis, sidecars, heroin, ecstacy etc..i'm sure you can all picture the clothes/music/graphic design that goes with each of the aforementioned...maybe booze and drugs are just another accessory...like purses...with slightly more dangerous side effects...probably the crack addict down the street from my boyfriend's would disagree with me, but then again, she has no style..

5:20 PM  
Blogger whyioughtta said...

Bottom line: I need a drink.

(Mmmmmm...sidecars. Thanks for the suggestion, Moose.)

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home