Wednesday, August 09, 2006

What's really bugging us?

The discussion of insects has taken an unexpected turn to bugbears and bugaboos and general broodishness.

When I hit my, ahem, early 30s (which I'm technically still in), my brooding accelerated rapidly. In fact, you might say I spawned quite a brood of bugaboos. I chalked that up to shitty managers and a job I hated and some so-so friends who listed to the far right of true friendship at times. So I decided to make a run for it, become an entrepreneur, and flee to the hills. No more idiot bosses, no more office politics, vastly simplified relationships via the replacement of people with trees and birds and dogs.

Still I brooded. As someone said (I'm too lazy to look it up on Wikipedia right now), "physician, heal thyself." I'm no physician, but the point is obvious: the broodishness lurks within, grasshopper; it doesn't come from ...without.

Enter the happy pills and yesterday's discussion of brooding about my inability to brood. And interesting comments on others' state of brooding.

Here's what I've started to wonder:

1. Is it a biological, evolutionary response to not yet having offspring on which to thrust the obsessive concerns that (barely) plague my (pretty easy) life?
2. Is it that ageing's just too damn depressing and we're really meant to die off around this age?
3. Is it just a phase in normal adult development?
4. Is it something going on out there in 'society' that makes us feel like if we're not rich and/or famous at this age, we're unfulfilled?
5. Is it indigestion and achy joints? (Seriously.)

I wonder lots of other things about this, but I'll stop there.

12 Comments:

Blogger whyioughtta said...

Yes, and right back atcha (re: your comments from last post about your own recent broodiness).

As long as there are good vintage treasures to be found, my life will always have a little sunshine...And ageing just brings me closer to, er, becoming a vintage treasure myself...

3:54 PM  
Blogger angrycandy said...

You forgot PMS…I’d send my own words of wisdom in how to deal and keep things in perspective but judging by the last couple of days I’ve had, which unfortunately whyioughtta is all too aware of, I think there would be a certain amount of derision and scoffing if I tried to get on any sort of soap box. So all’s I gotta say is uhh..sharing stuff is good for most humans (which, I guess, blogging is a form of – although sharing without the use of electronic media has it’s advantages too..i.e. actual human to human contact)…brooding is inward, if you put it out there then we can all brood together and then it’s not brooding anymore, it’s just funny. What’s the point of having friends if you can’t share your inner broodiness with them? And get different perspectives on your ummm…broody topics (like ann-imal’s which, I have to say, got me a little verklempt)? Unless you want to brood. Then go ahead and brood. Brooding can be good…nothing wrong with a little brooding…mmmm.....brooding (homer simpson like voice). As jack p would say, it’s all about balance…or, I learn a lot from my dog…Either works…or, as jose cuervo would say, bring on the margheritas…which reminds me…I have a bunch of frozen fresh lime juice in my freezer and will be having a margherita party soon…anyone interested?

12:09 PM  
Blogger whyioughtta said...

ann-imal: How did you miss the vintage /style obsession?? I've had it since early childhood (ask my mom about the silver shoes and the crinoline fetish sometime). Geez, I must have lapsed there for a while--scary thought.

Husband and I used to frequent Mabel's--great place...count me in.

a.c.: ...head spinning...that made me feel dizzy...world all twirly...vision blurring...

...need margarita stat...

12:48 PM  
Blogger angrycandy said...

mmmm....margheritas....

1:15 PM  
Blogger whyioughtta said...

yeah...mmmm....margaritas...

2:08 PM  
Blogger whyioughtta said...

Alcohol-assisted, shopping-prefaced female co-brooding is what makes the economy go round!

3:11 PM  
Blogger ni_de_montreal said...

hELp me (!) and tell me that when the post isn't the first one in the queue, that 'late' comments aren't lost in the ether.

i just spent the last 80 minutes perusing online organic pharmacies where I could order some magnesium aspartate (ah, the kind my mother used to smuggle in for me from deutschland since it can't seem to be found in canada) because i'm conVINced that it's going to be the cure (or at the very least, treatment) for my broodiness. I'm concerned that not only will i soon not be able to tolerate myself, but what about those around me? Oh gawd. It's practically unbearable sometimes. That's it. I've scheduled myself into some girl time during my week in "The East". I hope you're game.
Brrroodingly yours,
ni do montreao

2:15 AM  
Blogger whyioughtta said...

Ni, your girly broodiness comment has been duly noted and accounted for, and you will be promptly medicated upon your arrival at the bonfire pit. Fret not, young one.

10:03 AM  
Blogger angrycandy said...

warning to all seeking herbal supplements to ease "broodiness". st. john's wort doesn't mix well with alcohol..had quite the reaction one night when i mixed it with a couple of martinis...man, now i'm getting broody cause we all seem to be seeking supplements to "cure" our broodiness, or at least alleviate it sometimes...ummm...what's magnesium aspartate?...

1:18 PM  
Blogger whyioughtta said...

Yeah, I was noticing the supplement trend too...which is partly why I wrote this post.

Magnesium aspartate is a supplement often used by athletes (like runners and bodybuilders) to give them more energy.

1:53 PM  
Blogger angrycandy said...

alright, so on the shopping list tonite is omega 3 fish pills, magnesium aspartate, some other supplement that some yogi friend of my flamenco teacher said "literally. changed. my. life. literally" the name of which escapes me at the moment...and what else...oh yes, tequila.

2:20 PM  
Blogger whyioughtta said...

yikes...don't take them all at once. or. you'll. regret. it.

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home