Tuesday, April 25, 2006

There seems to be a gap where my topic should be

I don't want to talk about current events. I'm tired of politics. Don't you agree? Hmmm? Oh, I get it. You're one of those quiet types...

...Let's see. There's not much to say about music right now, since we're trying to finish our album and I don't have time to do a lot of listening to other stuff. Although I have to say that I both worship and curse YouTube. I watched 3 hours of old Madonna videos the other night. God I love "Lucky Star." All of her 80s stuff, come to think of it. I was one of the teenyboppers who ran out to buy Like a Virgin the SECOND it hit the stores (the vinyl, of course--sigh, it was a vinyl world back then, sigh sigh). Oh, how I coveted her Boy Toy belt buckle. Although I didn't really understand what a boy toy was...

Then yesterday, when I was supposed to be editing this hideous, loathsome, rambling, stinking, besmirchified, horrendous government document, I accidentally thought about Jenny Lewis and found myself forcing myself to watch all the YouTube footage I could find on her. Which led to a search for Rilo Kiley footage. Which reminded me of the Strokes concert I'm going to see in May...

Not really reading much literature these days. Well, okay, you forced it out of me: I'm re-reading my Nancy Drew collection. Are you happy? I don't care, I'll admit it: Nancy's cool. I mean she's a little on the goody-two-pumps-and-a-string-of-pearls side, but she's her own woman and I respect that. The series could do with a little more smoochy-smoochy between her and Ned Nickerson, or any smoochy-smoochy at all in fact, but Nancy makes me feel like there's an order to life, and she reinforces the values of family, and the fact that a woman's place is in the home, and the idea that while it's okay for a girl to sleuth as a hobby, she shouldn't act like it's some kind of serious career or anything, and...hey, wait a minute. Darn you Nancy Drew! Darn you to heck.

Oh, what the hell am I going on about now? Hey, that reminds me, though. Did you know that the famous 'yellowback' series of Nancy Drew books--the ones most of us own--is actually a redrafted version of an original series dating from the 30s and 40s? Yep, it's true. And back then Nancy had a lot more chutzpah and a lot less of the 'oh dear, let's think about it while we make dinner.' She was, in a word, more HEP.

Which leads me to a random thought: If birds evolved from dinosaurs, where do the feathers come from? Are feathers some kind of evolutionized (made up word) lizard scale? And how can birds be so cute, but lizards so incredibly icky?

2 Comments:

Blogger jackp said...

go sens go....go sens go...go sens go!!!!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Jar said...

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home