Friday, January 27, 2006

Sweet materialism

Just thought I'd share a great bargain I lucked into yesterday. Been searching for this book for years--it has been out of print since, I dunno, 1985 or something. It's a gorgeous large folio book--Allure, by Diana Vreeland, former editor-in-chief of Vogue and unbearably fabulous woman, although a smidge on the cuckoo side. This is the woman who said "I loathe narcissism, but I approve of vanity," and "she had the elegance of the damned," and "people who eat white bread have no dreams," and "pink is the navy blue of India."

If you love photography and the ideas of style, elegance, allure, and nuttiness, this is the book for you.

All of that to say that it was recently reprinted and was being sold in bookstores for about $110 (Canadian). I guess not everyone's as enamoured with Vreeland, because I found a copy in the bargain bin at Chapters yesterday ....for $9.99. There may still be copies at a Chapters or Indigo near you.

Well, I thought that was kind of cool.

Um, I'll get back to movie watching now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home