Tuesday, January 24, 2006

My disappointment is exceeded only by my apathy

The Conservatives won, as everyone expected they would. But it was hardly the 'victory' being described by the New York Times or CNN. They won by a very slim margin, they have a minority government, and the real success stories are the Liberals (who got more seats than anyone predicted despite being the media's whipping boy for the last 4 weeks) and the NDP (who more than doubled their seats). And every Canadian voter knows what this result means: we're giving you a shot at it, Smirky Smirkster, since you think you can do so much better and since the Liberals need time to clean house. But you'd better produce results or you'll be gone so fast heads will spin.

Should the Conservatives screw up and start Harper-ing on the lame old conservative issues (social values, anti-gay, nuking the environment, ignoring Aboriginals, becoming Bush cronies, yadayadayada), it just might boost Canadians out of our typical political activity: caustic complaining while sitting by the fire or in front of the t.v. We might actually get up and do something about something, like I dunno, write the newspapers or protest or something.

I have to confess, I'm nervous about all this. I'm Canadian. We don't like things to change too much. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home