Thursday, January 19, 2006

Grab your SCUBA gear



We're going deep, now ....

Sometimes I think there's some deep irony that we're totally unaware of with the whole technology/networking thing. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it has to do with the fact that we're creating machines and systems to help us process information and make connections, yet our brains are the best information processor/networking devices in the world, and so we're creating these machines that are really stupid and we're putting all our energy into using them to connect with each other, but all they really do is emulate our brains (poorly), but suddenly we can't think without them. And I wonder, if we'd never created them in the first place, would we be farther along than we are now? If so--now that's ironic.

I also wonder, is the human brain like a computer, or are computers like the human brain? If the human brain is like a computer, will it become more computer-like as computers continue to evolve? Who's driving whom here, people?

3 Comments:

Blogger Coalminerswritedaughter said...

Hola,
Just to make you feel better about yourself today.
Liked your thoughts re. our brains becoming computer like. My personal fear is that after awhile we won't be able to talk in person. I find already that I avoid some friends by phone and send instead an email. The "knowing" that occurs with the in-person presence is so necessary for the in-debth relationship. Assuming we'll be happy without the in-debt relationships in our lives I guess computer communication is ok. I have to work at keeping that balance.
Adios
Peggy

1:17 PM  
Blogger whyioughtta said...

Sometimes my husband and I e-mail each other WHEN WE'RE BOTH AT HOME. I think your fear is well-founded.

3:32 PM  
Blogger whyioughtta said...

Here's something Stephen Hawking said that seems relevant to this:

"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image."

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home