Thursday, June 15, 2006

Now Wait Just a New York Minute...

Was in NYC over the weekend. Love NYC. Adore NYC. Would marry NYC if wasn't already married. Love it so much eliminate personal pronouns for it...

Four days of shopping and site-seeing in NYC with one's mother is not an event which can be easily summarized in a single blog. The repercussions will be felt for decades. The blisters will be present for weeks. The bags are unpacked, but the baggage will last a lifetime. (Mom, I'm so kidding...honest).

Here is a brief summary of some of the things I saw on my visit to NYC.

Things I Saw On My Visit to NYC This Weekend

1. My self-esteem flushed down the drain when I burst into tears at airport security. We almost missed our flight and I had my mother, a.k.a. The Angel of Doom, whispering in my ear, "We're not going to make it. There's no way. They don't give you another flight, you know. That's it. No refund either...Oh, and by the way, all our luggage will still be on its way to New York. It may take us weeks to get our clothes back." Yes, that's right. My mommy made me cry in front of the nice security officers.

2. The unprecedented dearth (that means 'lack') of public washrooms, or as they call them in NYC after scowling at you for uttering the word washroom, "restrooms," leading one poor man to...er, how do I put this..."refill" his apple juice bottle...on the subway...and then dump the...er..."recycled apple juice"...on the tracks.

3. The inside of approximately 4,382 clothing stores (including some fan-freaking-tastic vintage shops...).

4. Eva, the winner of Cycle 5 of America's Next Top Model, catwalking through a restaurant (well, "the" restaurant actually) in the meat-packing district, Pastis. Her walk: amusing and mildly embarassing-for-her, yet exceptionally well-executed. The food: totally overrated. The ambiance: non-existent. I did witness several young women sharing lines of coke in the washroom, though. How retro. How 1983.

5. A wind-storm in Little Italy while seated for a long dinner at an outdoor patio. A tree fell on my mother. But don't worry--it was artificial. I felt somewhat vindicated for the airport incident.

6. A fabulous Cuban restaurant--Cubano Cafe--on 7th between 22nd and 21st West...or somewhere around there. If you are ever in NYC, EAT THERE. Honestly, it was one of the best meals I've ever had. And the mojitos are muy bueno.

7. Rockefeller Centre restaurant for mojitos (it was that night's theme, okay?). RC is dead on Friday nights...who'd-a-known?

8. A little piece of heaven called Shoegasm. What a lovely way to finish my trip...

9. Kenny the Deli Guy. Who also works for the city. And was one of the nicest, and most talkative, New Yorkers I've ever met. God love ya, Kenny. Hope that rich lawyer daughter of yours does you proud and buys you a nice retirement villa in the Poconos, or something.

10. Someone who was either Christian Slater or Ethan Hawke (hard to tell, he had a studiously rough, stubbly look going and was wearing a toque, but it was definitely one of them) at Cafeteria for lunch on Monday. I was the girl in the bright green golf shirt, in case you're reading this. Hi.

11. Not Rachel Wiesz or Mike Myers, thank God.

12. The Pierre Elliot Trudeau airport in Montreal, on the way home. It's big and, uh, airporty.

13. The Darwin exhibit at the American Museum of Natural History. Did you know that he married his first cousin? My mom found that very ironic, given his area of study...

14. That NYC is one of the most amazing, exciting, stimulating places in the world and I plan to get to know all of it over the (hopefully many) years ahead of me, but there's no place more beautiful than home.

1 Comments:

Blogger jackp said...

".... I did witness several young women sharing lines of coke in the washroom, though. How retro. How 1983......"
-not sure if i approve of these activities

..."10. Someone who was either Christian Slater or Ethan Hawke (hard to tell, he had a studiously rough, stubbly look going and was wearing a toque, but it was definitely one of them) at Cafeteria for lunch on Monday. I was the girl in the bright green golf shirt, in case you're reading this. Hi...."
- I am the husband of 'the girl in the bright green golf shirt'. Goodbye.

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home