Monday, June 26, 2006

Mine's definitely an inny

Having sufficiently gazed into the fathomless depths of my own navel, I feel the time is right to get shallow again. Throw away the SCUBA gear, tear off that snorkel; we're goin back to the surface! Yay!

If I were to tell you that one of the things giving me major butterflies for the last few days has been the impending release of The Devil Wears Prada in Canadian theatres...would you think any less of me? Is that even possible?

Well, to hell with it. I'm throwing caution to the wind. I can't wait to see that movie!

I read the book. Oh, what a terrible, terrible piece of illiterature that was. Ouch...it hurts thinking about it. And I say that as a professional writer. I've read government reports with more dynamic paragraph development.

But the story was a good one, I'll give Ms. Weisenheimerbergerson that one. It really was. And it had genuinely funny moments. And her character development did not suck. Which is a compliment, as you know if you've read the book.

Besides, I adore Anna Wintour in a 'Good God, she is the seventh sign of the Apocalypse' kind of way. I'm just obsessed with people--especially women--like Anna Wintour. So driven and single-minded. Maybe it's because they're my polar opposites. I'm fascinated with what must go on inside their heads. Do they just play heavy metal muzak in there all day? How can they block out the tormented cries of the small furry animals whose slaughter they support and, in fact, sport daily upon their persons?

I'm not saying that as a PETA activist. I'm not a PETA activist, although I do support several animal charities. But I'm getting off topic here, people. The issue is shoes. Shoes and clothing. You know, the stuff that really matters.

Where was I? Oh, yes. The movie. I was shocked to see that Ah-nah herself attended the premiere of this movie in LA or Vegas or wherever it was. Good PR move, mizzz Wintouah. It will be very interesting to see how Meryl Streep navigates the sketchy waters of NOT portraying Wintour overtly, because you know nobody ever said the book was about her and any resemblances to persons living or dead is purely coincidental and disclaimer and etcetera. Yes, how will she not portray Wintour, yet portray the overtly Wintour-like character described to minute detail in the book?

And Anne Hathaway. Should be interesting to see her as something other than fictional royalty.

I'm not sure who else is in it, but I look forward to the clothes and the set design and oh, I guess the story, kind of. I'm fairly certain it will get crapola reviews from aht critics, but I don't give a Jimmy Choo.

More on this after I've seen it...

3 Comments:

Blogger jackp said...

who's Jimmy Choo? i can't wait to see him in the movie!

:)

10:44 AM  
Blogger whyioughtta said...

Oh yes, she absolutely does have that much power. Twig and berry power. Her power is scary-crazy. She decides what's in and what's out; WHO is in and who's out. She is the Franco of popular culture. People think 'editor in chief of Vogue--big deal,' but they underestimate the power tied up with that. In fact, I'm going to blog about that now...

p.s. How was your...weekend...Annimal??? Heh heh.

10:37 AM  
Blogger whyioughtta said...

Sorry we couldn't make it! Glad to hear you had a good time though...And happy (almost) birthday.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home